I used to live there

13 Jun

and I admit

I do visit now and again,

when I forget,

but moving the house and home

of me

from a place of misallocation

was a gift I dug deep and gave myself.

I see some who live there, now,

and my heart goes out – remembering the pain of forgetting,

but what can one say?

Only to whisper,

gently, sometimes from a distance:

remember

remember

you don’t have to live there

one second more

you too

can be one

who knows

that you used to live

where you are now

but have learned

that you don’t have to

anymore.

12 Responses to “I used to live there”

1. footloosedon June 13, 2020 at 6:57 pm #

I too used to live there, and still visit now and then when I forget. Thank you Marga for this lovely reminder.

• marga t. June 14, 2020 at 4:24 am #

Thank you. We are neighbors! 🙂

2. Kellie June 13, 2020 at 11:02 pm #

Lovely poem 👌😊

3. Michael June 14, 2020 at 3:44 pm #

I think I am still moving boxes out. Looking for Tupperware lids. Wondering why we have eight knives and eight forks but only six spoons. Each box comes up to the bottom of my nose and I get lost as I schlep them across town. I stop and set them down, paw through them. Try to remember where I was going again… It’s weird to move from a fixed address to everywhere at once, because somehow there’s no place to store your things!

• marga t. June 15, 2020 at 12:48 am #

You are so perfectly playful and you point out the unsaid thing – where is home, really?! Moving to everywhere at once – sometimes I get just a tiny bit of a glimpse of immensity and I panic and pull back in and try to hold this collection of cells together at imaginary edges. Hello, you, t(here).

4. Alison and Don June 15, 2020 at 5:57 am #

Moment by moment remembering – I don’t have to live there anymore. Sometimes it seems I’m too stubborn to let go. And then I remember and laugh.
    Lovely reminder.
    Alison xo

• marga t. June 15, 2020 at 12:37 pm #

Perfectly said, A! The veil of forgetting though can have such a pull, at times. Even in the forgetting, there seems to be some shift in not residing, not keeping a toothbrush, in that home anymore. 🙂 xx m

5. Miguel Clark Mallet June 15, 2020 at 5:28 pm #

I think it’s not possible to live in the same place, even if I never move. The place changes around me. My only choice is whether to acknowledge it and how to respond.

• marga t. June 16, 2020 at 1:45 am #

Sort of like how we can never step in the same stream twice. There has never been any there there. The more riddle(y) it gets, the closer it seems. Hello fellow homeless friend! 🙂

6. KELLY J KUHN June 15, 2020 at 9:12 pm #