swab

25 Mar

creating the sea

alltelleringet

There is no higher spot than this:

manning the decks.

Forget your name

and paint yourself an ocean.

But don’t get carried away and forget to

guard the hatches below for intruding,

morose slouchers

still wearing chains and

bearing the old stink of comparison,

the need for belonging,

doubt,

and doom.

Or better yet, let them out.

A little sun will do them good when you

take your vessel out to see.

The bags of rice stowed for famine

and guns in the crows nest for war

are worlds you need not enter.

But do

study the content of your water,

talk to the sea birds upon rising,

scan the horizon for land –

release your feet from shoes,

admire the fray of your pirate pants,

snort heartily through your nose to clear your head of cobwebs,

meet your forgetting with bear hugs and get back to the

business of no thing

in the now now nownownow

of the open sea.

15 Responses to “swab”

1. Andrea March 25, 2014 at 2:00 am #

!!!!!!! Shazam and ahoy there matey! This poem rocks my boat and I LIKE IT!!!

2. S March 25, 2014 at 2:38 am #

Love the images…the pic you included and the one you created 🙂

• marga t. March 25, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

Will be fun to set out! I’ll go by sea and you by air – and we will meet at Cat Island 🙂

3. blueangelwolf March 25, 2014 at 7:52 am #

Love it!

4. britlight March 25, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

Aye, it’s a blustery, sun-frilled day on the open sea. The waters maybe choppy or calm but there’s no place I’d rather be than on my ocean of doubt, hope, fear, love, joy, forgetting, being…all of it. I loved this, Marga. So full of imagery and interpretation; so deep and wondering and freeing.

• marga t. March 25, 2014 at 9:13 pm #

Thank you, Lisa! Perhaps we are all creating this big ocean together!

5. britlight March 25, 2014 at 12:53 pm #

Reblogged this on Spiritual Biscuits and commented:
    Marga knocks it out into the wild blue yonder with this wonderful piece. Let it seep into the soft, grey parts of your brain that need light and waking. Let it crack open your heart and help you see that it’s ok. Life is your ocean; sail it strong.

• marga t. March 25, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

What a beautiful addition – your words – my heart cracked open and now I am sailing not alone but with a kind and kindred crew

6. ~meredith March 25, 2014 at 2:23 pm #

and Aaaaagh! don’t forget the Aaaargh’s. they’re so fun to holler when things get exciting.

(i love the picture you have with this, too.)

Great peace, sun, joy, happiness, stinky fish, and salty dogs (of several ilks…)

xx Meredith

• marga t. March 25, 2014 at 9:23 pm #

How fun to come home to your comments, Meredith! ARGH. ARGH. I walk by Blackbeard’s tombstone (Edward Teach) downtown every now and again – much more interesting than all the respectable graves 🙂 So glad to have you out there to holler to when things get exciting, confusing, crazy! xo! Marga

7. Michael March 28, 2014 at 12:56 am #

This is pure bliss. I am thankful to be a stowaway on this craft, coasting through the Nowdom. The ocean has become my heart. I play chess with monkeys and am defeated. We bet orange peels and ginger ales. Whales are towing us to the end of the world, to the surprise party. It is kind of strange to be sailing the ocean on a boat with no sails, is it not?

Michael

• marga t. March 28, 2014 at 11:15 am #

Thank you, walk aboard stowaway, for fishing with your gummy bear bait now that we are down to our last bag of ramen. The manna isn’t due until tomorrow. Somehow it is strange, yes, the absence of sails, but also easy like flying in dreams. Here we merge the two realities we know, waking and dreaming life, into one. (You’ve inspired me to write my first fiction in many many years, my friend. What fun, this playing!)

• Michael March 29, 2014 at 11:06 am #

Merging the two realities… This is it!

I’m excited you are writing some fiction and warmed to see the power of relationship and discovery at work, and while I don’t mean to presume, I can’t wait to read it!

Michael