when she goes

28 Feb

mystic-tree_620

There used to be stories to tell till

the mind grew more still.

The I became she – and she

pulled out my new suitcase

and filled it with things not wanted anymore:

ferragamo heels and a lily pulitzer dress

and a tape from a soap opera i was in

on a forgotten cable channel.

She said she knew a place with a better address.

Still she comes to visit;

we sit with tea.

She is forever lacing our drinks with her

special sugars

that turn bitter

then poisonous.

When she leaves, I listen for the sound of her

clacking shoes to fade away,

and I am left with what she didn’t take:

cicada symphonies rising in crescendo with

the owl outside my window, and

my secret love affair with a tree

that bows to me in the heavy rain.

When I bow back, I am careful to be lower

than his crown,

muddying my lips on his roots.

10 Responses to “when she goes”

1. Awake in 365 Days February 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

Very stirring to the soul. “cicada symphonies” and the best love affairs are with trees. Hope all is flowing well with you πŸ™‚

• marga t. February 28, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Only kindred know about the trees πŸ™‚ Good flow here. A certain weariness of the extended strain has lifted to reveal again the joy. Hope you are enjoying your day! So nice to know every single day you have a forehead slapping quote or morsel πŸ™‚

• Awake in 365 Days March 1, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

I swear that trees actually hug back! They are such wonderful givers of unconditional love. Forehead slapping quotes and morsels, I like that, thanks! πŸ™‚

• marga t. March 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

Do you remember when tree hugger was an insult? I too get that vibe from trees, but also find Castaneda’s and Tolkien’s take on the indifferent or slightly hostile trees interesting. Hope you get to hug a tree today:)

2. encounteringthesoul February 28, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

Such a beautiful and somber tone. Reverence for both what goes and what remains

• marga t. February 28, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

Thank you for your fresh eyes; I see in a new way through your descriptions, here!

3. caimbeul March 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

That’s a wow.

4. stockdalewolfe March 25, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Loved this. I, too, have love affairs with trees.

• marga t. March 25, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

I would have imagined that to be so from your writing. I find myself sharing these unspoken truths and am amazed to find the same truths in others. thank you for sharing your time/attention with me today!